CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Oedipus Rex..

My children, generations of the living
In the line of Kadmos, nursed at his ancient hearth:
In supplication, with your boughs and garlands?
The breath of incense rises from the city
With a sound of prayer and lamentation.

- The Origin of Oedipus the King

My children, latest born to Cadmus old,
Why sit ye here as suppliants, in your hands
Branches of olive filleted with wool?
What means this reek of incense everywhere,
And everywhere laments and litanies?

-has been told in a story-telling fashion

Friday, March 14, 2008

Shakespeare Walla..

It was so exciting when my lecturer, Dr Malachi Edwin let us to watch a movie. Since we are studying the language of drama, he wanted us to watch ‘Shakespeare Walla’, an ancient movie. I was at a high spirit to watch it, but when my leader started the movie, my interest was going down. It is a black-and-white movie! May be it is a great movie or story to watch, but I got sleepy after a while. It is performed by most of Hindustanis and the languages were mixed, English and Hindustan. Sometimes I lost the meaning or plot because of the different use of language. Some other time I fall asleep, but I awoke after few seconds. It is a story about performers’ life. They performed plays, including Shakespeare’s. On stage they will act as written in script, but in their real life, it is very different. Although they had a quarrel among them in the real life, they will ignore about the quarrel on stage and acted as professionals, so that the audiences can feel the performance. Here I got the moral of the story, even though we have problems; do not show our problems while performing plays.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

The story Shakespeare wallah is one of the most boring film. I went out halfway because it was too boring. I loved Macbeth though... But i think that reading the play is much much better than watching the movie.
You should read the pkay...u'll find it much favorable compare to the movie.